I am seeking a tenure-track faculty position with a student-focused institution with a strong and diverse History Department. My long-term goals are to contribute to the field of History through the lens of the tensions between institutional religion and the nation-state.
- Master of Arts, History, San Diego State University, Expected graduation Spring 2013
Masters Thesis (in progress): “Religious Patriotism During World War I: A Tri-faith Perspective”
- Master of Arts, Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts, Music Education, Point Loma Nazarene University, 1999
Associate Web Editor for the Journal of Southern Religion
Start date May 1, 2013
Presenter at California American Studies Association, Annual Meeting
April 26-27, 2013 at San Diego State University
Paper topic: “Religious Patriotism During World War I: A Tri-Faith Perspective” (transcript available upon request)
California American Studies Association, Annual Meeting, April 26-27, 2013
Fall 2012 and Spring 2013, San Diego State University
under Professor Edward J. Blum
Presenter at the Conference on Faith and History
October 6, 2012 at Gordon College, Whenham, MA
Paper topic: “Catholic Patriotism During World War I” (transcript available upon request)
Spring 2012, San Diego State University
under Professor Edward J. Blum
Fall 2011, San Diego State University
under Professor William Guthrie
Adjunct Lecturer, Online Administrator
2003 – 2006, European Nazarene College
Lectured in Church History, Christian Ethics, English, and Introduction to Theology. Choir Director. As Online Administrator I developed and implemented the Introduction to Learning Online class, as well as gave one-on-one orientations to the faculty. I was the primary problem-solver for all aspects of the online education program.
Summer 2006, Tirana, Albania
A three-week intensive course on Church History from the Reformation to the present.
Introduction to Christian Ethics
Summer 2004, Tirana, Albania
A two-week intensive course on Christian Ethics.
Professional Accomplishments and Affiliations
- Winner of the Richard Ruetten Memorial Scholarship Award, Fall 2012
- Member of the American Historical Association since Fall 2011
- Member of the Conference of Faith and History since Fall 2011
- Member of Americans United for Separation of Church and State since Fall 2011
Solutions Manager, FooPlugins. www.fooplugins.com. February 2013 – Present.
Self-Employed, Freelance Web Developer. www.mattcromwell.com, San Diego, CA. July 2011 – Present.
Lead Web Developer. IFPDesigns.com, San Diego, CA. July 2011 – Present.
Contact CEO, Brian Beevers at 619-795-3363.
Assistant to the Program Director. Congregation Beth Israel, San Diego, CA. 2007 – 2011.
Contact Executive Director, Lesley Mills at 858-535-1111.
Music Director. Harbor Presbyterian Church, San Diego, CA. 2007 – 2010.
Contact Senior Pastor, Stephen Phelan at 619-792-2251.
Adjunct Lecturer, Online Administrator. European Nazarene College. BÜsingen, Germany. 2003 – 2006.
Contact Academic Dean Antonie Holleman at (01149) 7734-809-0.
Production Editor for the SEMI (Weekly Student Newspaper). Fuller Theological Seminary. Pasadena, CA. 2000 – 2002.
Contact Carmen Valdez at 626-584-5433.
Additional Professional Skills
- An effective an thorough researcher and writer
- Highly skilled with digital publishing software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Experienced with various database and membership software.
- Highly skilled with CSS3, HTML5, various social media services, email marketing software (Constant Contact, Mail Chimp), and Content Management Systems (e.g. Joomla, WordPress, etc.).
- Fluent in communicating, reading, and writing in German.
References and Further Information
Available upon request